Sunday, April 20, 2008

Memorable weekend



This was a very memorable day because Mike put the final 80 lb. block on the wall today. That is it in the first picture. After much back breaking work the wall is finally in place. We now move on to ordering dirt and putting on the capstones. I must say that I am very proud of Mike because this is by far the biggest project he has ever undertaken. You also have to understand that in the household he was from they just hired someone to do the work for them. I came from the family where if you want something done you do it yourself. He has come a long way in the eight years that we have been married. In fact, we tried to hire someone to do this job for us but he never got back with us and he considered it a very difficult job so when Mike said that he would take it on I was more than a little surprised. It has been a very long road, and we are not through yet but at least our house will not fall down the hill anymore. Yeah! We broke ground on July 4th of last year and Mike did 95% of the work himself with his Dad helping out when he could. I watched the kids and shoveled a little bit of the rock. The boys even helped a little as you can see in the pictures above. My main job will be to do all of the planting on the new dirt. My newfound hobby is flower gardening. I have already ordered most of the plants that I want to put out back.


We had three memorable events that happened this weekend: the first was adopting our newest family member Pippen whom I already mentioned in the last post. The second was that we took Cameron and Garrett to see the movie "Horton hears a Who". This was significant because it was Garrett's first movie in the theater. He did very well especially when he was in charge of the popcorn. There is something about his obsession with food. I hope that he outgrows that fast. Although he does take after Pop and Pop likes his food. The third memorable event was the finishing of the actual retaining wall structure. What a busy weekend.

1 comment:

Bryan / Pamela said...

That's Awesome that you have done so much this past weekend. Lets see we didn't do squat! I did plant some flowers in my wishing well and in my hanging pots.