Wednesday, October 21, 2009

At Home

The last two weeks have not been a normal schedule for me because Cameron has been off of school for so long. On Monday the twelfth he was off for Columbus day. That was fun. Memaw took us out to the fabric store (to buy slip cover material for her wing back chair) and the toy store for the boys. They each got to pick out a toy because they were so good in the fabric store. Then last Tuesday and Wednesday Pop took Cameron to school and picked him up so I didn't have that part of my routine to do. Then starts the sickness cycle. On Wednesday Cameron came home from school and that night he had a fever, no other symptoms except the fever. Well, the policy at school is that they don't come to school for twenty-four hours after the fever. Okay, he stayed home Thursday. He doesn't have the flu he just has a bad cough. No fever again until that night. Great, I have to keep him home again. I call the doctor on Friday but since he has a low grade fever they don't want me to bring him in because he might get something worse there. He still acts just fine, still bouncing off the walls. All through the weekend he seems good just the cough and sniffles I suspect has more to do with allergies and less with anything else. Monday morning we get up and he goes to school. Yeah, he's better, I can get on with my normal routine. No! At noon the school office calls and Cameron has a headache. I bring him home and give him some tylenol and he goes straight to bed, naps for an hour and a half and wakes up just fine. No fever, just a headache. Tuesday he goes back to school and he is just fine in the morning. I asked him about 5 times if his head hurt or anything like that. The answer is no. At 10:30 I get a call from the office, Cameron is crying because his head hurts. He has another headache, by the time I pick him up his head is fine and he is bouncing off the walls and playing like a normal boy. Okay, what is wrong with him? I call the doctors office again and insist that I bring him in. That was yesterday at 1:45. He has a sinus infection so he is not contagious. He is on antibiotics and will be on some allergy meds as soon as the insurance company approves them. At least let's hope they approve them. They are the same ones that he was on last year at this time and they worked in getting rid of his congestion. The doctor says he is okay to go back to school. That brings us to today. I take him to school and the princepal says he has to go back home because he hasn't been symptom free for 24 hours, even though he no longer has a headache and he his sinus infection is not contagious. The media hype about H1N1 has everyone on edge so even though Cameron is just fine, in fact he is outside playing on his big wheeel right now, he can't go to school. He has missed 3 whole days and 2 half days of school due to a sinus infection. None of those days has he been really sick. He has just been playing and doing his normal things. It's a little frustrating.

No comments: