Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend Update

It was a pretty busy Saturday for us. Memaw and Pop came over at around 9:30 am to pick up the boys for the day. They went to breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Meanwhile, Mike and I were still getting ready for the wedding that we were going to later in the afternoon. We finished getting ready and then it was time to head out the door so that we could go vote early and not have to fight the lines on election day. We voted for the McCain/Palin ticket not based on economics, or the health care system or anything except for the fact that they are pro-life which means more than anything else to us. After that we headed over to MO. We ate lunch at nice quaint restaurant in historic St. Charles. It was nice for Mike and I just to be able to spend the day together to get reacquainted if you know what I mean. We get so busy in our daily lives with the kids and our responsibilities that we don't have much time to just talk. I guess that lunch took a little longer than we thought because when we checked the time we only had 30 minutes to go to the spice shop and then get to the wedding. We ended up making it with 10 minutes to spare. We went to the wedding of an old friend from high school named Nicole. She is so sweet and I know that she has waited a long time to find the right man. I could tell that she was so happy. I was able to see a few of the friends that I hung out with through the Teens for Christ group. Of course, you know me, I saw and recognized some people but I really didn't go up and talk to anyone in particular except for Tim and Kim. Luckily, Suzy had sympathy on us the wallflowers and came over to talk for a little bit. When we were done there we headed back to the east side and went to Wal-Mart and Sam's for a few errands and then we were to meet Mike's parents and the boys over at the Shrine for dinner. We were a little late, but we did find cowboy boots for Cameron's costume.

On Sunday we went to church and something very unexpected happened there. The sermon was about the lame beggar man that Peter and John healed. Paster Fred was explaining how when we live in the suburbs like we do we don't come into contact with that many homeless people. We are sort of in a sterile environment and we become immune to the people around us. We pass by people and don't really listen or pay attention to them. I never really thought of this before, but he was right. Well, during the sermon he passed out some envelopes and he told us not to take them if we didn't want to accept some responsibility. I was a little nervous after he said that, but we took one anyway. While the envelopes were being passed out he reminded us of one of the goals that the church had at the beginning of the year and that was to help give back to our community in which we live. One of the things that we as a church had done was to buy two tazer guns for some local police. When the news found out about this they came over and interviewed our paster and it went nation wide that a church had bought tazers for the police. That was nice thought Paster Fred but he had invisioned more help to the community. That is when we were told to open the envelopes to see what was inside. Inside each envelope was a certain amount of money some were $5, $20, $50, and $100. The total amount given out was $15,000. It was now our responsibility to use this money to help the community in some way. Paster Fred was using the leftover mission money from our church budget and making us the missionaries to use this money wisely and to listen to people in need. We were not to use this money for ourselves, our family, or friends. Paster Fred said that he would use his money to put quarters in the carts of people shopping at Aldi. Mike and I are still thinking about what we will do with the money God has given us to use for His purposes. I have an idea which I believe God placed on my heart and I will share it with you later after I talk to Mike and we go through with it.

1 comment:

Bryan / Pamela said...

Wow now that's a mission call if I ever heard of it.